Sunday, December 21, 2014

Influenced by a Master - Jean Royere

I love art books. I could spend hours looking through them for reference for a design project or just for inspiration. For my Christmas present to myself I bought a 3 book collection on Jean Royere, a French interior designer and furniture maker. 


1902-1981

Jean started as a banker and at the age of 31 changed careers into the business of design and furniture making. 







In 1934 he designed the new layout of the Brasserie Carlton on the Champs Elysees. This made his mark in the world of interior design. 



He is best know for his international patrons such as King Farouk, King Hussein and the Shah of Iran.


These are his Ceuf chairs that sold at auction for $257,000.00

  His furniture pieces are a combination of delicate, organic shapes and curves. Most piece are substantial in size. 



Bright colors are also a signature element of his style.

This style of fur on a chair or ottoman is still very popular today and reinterpreted by everyone. 



 Most recently I have been designing some furniture pieces. I love looking back at the styles of the 30's and 40's. The shapes and styles are so clever and intriguing. 



                   Geometric shaped table bases




                                           Egg barstools




Organic curved metal base with a travertine top. 


There is nothing better than a good design book. You can't be a good designer without knowing the history of design, exploring historical inspirations, and celebrating those that came before us. 

I hope you are as inspired as I am! 




No comments: