Friday, July 13, 2018

Hue Are You? with GordonDunning

Welcome to HUE ARE YOU




A weekly blog series exploring different creatives' views on color and its use in interiors, art and design. We will dive deep into their obsessions with color. How and why they use color. You will get to know their stories and you may even gather some tips for using color in your own home. What is better than learning from the experts!





_______________________________________________________________ 


Hue Are You? 

Designer Spotlight: Lathem Gordon and Cate Dunning

GordonDunning is an Atlanta, GA based boutique interior design firm founded by, Lathem Gordon & Cate Dunning, two lovers of story and history.  A hallmark of their firm is to honor the story of their clients as well as the homes themselves.  The team creates spaces for clients to illustrate tales of past adventures, to share current interests, and to create a backdrop for a new chapter in the family’s and home’s history. Their style is bold and classic and their personalities are full of life. I can't wait to hear their views on color.



Susan Jamieson:  What one color represents your design style? 

LG/CD: Blue and White!

SJ: Do you use color as a dominant role in your designs or as an accent? 

LG/CDIt really depends on the client and the scope of the project.  We love layering patterns and colors together to create unexpected combinations.




SJ: How do you feel about matching colors in a room? 

LG/CD  There is never anything wrong with matching colors, but we always strive to throw in a little something unexpected where we can!

SJ: What color represents your personality? 

LG/CD  Cate – Carolina Blue, Lathem - Turquoise



SJ: What color comes to mind when you talk about: 

Your favorite City ....... 

How do I choose a favorite city?!?! Travel is my favorite. I'll go with Barcelona which is essentially a collection of all the bold colors!

Cate - Black and White - That's tough! DC, Charleston, London? I love old! I love my home city of Atlanta but we don't hang onto the old as well. 


The House You Grew Up In ......... 

Lathem – Moss Green – The house I grew up in is like an interior nature preserve mixed with a lot of Latin American artwork.  It is a very neutral background of taupes and greens with punches of colorful works.

Cate -  Mustard yellow - The house I grew up in was full of deep saturated color. Warm and cozy but with fresh royal blue and white. I felt like I grew up in an old English/Irish library.

Last Fabulous Dinner You Had ........  This is a toughy!  I’d say rainbow, because a big ol’ steak surrounded by a bevvy of veggies is my fav! Cate – Blue of blue willow china. The last great dinner I had was at my parent’s country house: Ribs and Vidalia onion pie.

Your favorite Flower .......    

Lathem –  White – It is hard to pick an absolute favorite flower, but the majority of my favorites are white – gardenias, magnolias, lilies, some peonies…

Cate – Ditto. I have a white garden at home. White and deep green.

Your favorite season .....  

Lathem – Summer - Yellow!  Summer is my favorite season by far, and the joy and warmth the sunshine brings is unmatched!

Cate – I love whatever season I’m in (except winter. Gross!) Since it’s summer, pool blue! I love being in the water!



Your Favorite Art ...... 

This is SO hard!  As an Art History lover as well as artwork for my own home, I can’t pick just one!  My favorites in my own home are pieces that have a personal connection for me - an abstract piece, a Panamanian Mola, an Audubon, an Iraqi rug, a piece by my grandmother…the list goes on and one.  Anyway, they almost all have blue or green in them with pops of orange. 

Cate – Ahhhh! Same! I’m into subdued art right now. Calm clouds and misty waters. The pretty grey/blue color.


Your Favorite Room in Your Home .....      

Lathem – Porch – Basil Green

Cate – Bedroom – blue all shades

Your Favorite Beauty product ....   

Lathem – Vivid Green, because apparently I am a Garnier Fructis commercial.

Cate – I only use Dove so…white?

Your Favorite Article of Clothing ......  

Lathem – White!  White jeans and dresses are my absolute favorites!  If I could wear exclusively white clothing, I would.

Cate – Navy – classic baby

SJ: Name a color you never use? 

LG/CD We probably use less yellow than anything else, but we haven’t met a color we don’t like. 

SJ: Name a color you use frequently? 

LG/CDGreen - Lathem , Blue – Cate





SJ: If you could pick a name for a color what would it be? 

LG/CDWe would love to name a color for spaces that are significant to us. Our homes, travels, etc.

SJ: Do you have a pet? What color reminds you of him/her? Do you have a nickname for this pet? 

LG/CDLathem – No Pets 

Cate – George Bailey – Tri-color – Black, white, and camel – all the classics














SJ: What is the Now Neutral? 

LG/CDLathem – Navy, Cate – Warm Gray







SJ: What is your prediction for the next big color trend? 

LG/CD    Green 

SJ: What are the best color combinations? 

LG/CD:   Classic with a punch of unexpected 



SJ: Best advice when it comes to picking paint colors? 

LG/CD   We always recommend putting up (at least) your top 3 options in the space you are considering painting.  Put large swaths on all walls and take a tally throughout the day(s) of your favorites.  The one with the most votes at the end of the week or weekend wins!  The light is different at all times of day, on every wall, and in different spaces. 

Instagram: @gordondunning

Website: www.gordondunning.com

________________________________________________________________




                                                               

No comments: