Sunday, October 10, 2010

Embroidery from Villa Savoia



Friday night I was lucky enough to be invited by Mary Douglas Drysdale to her studio for a cocktail party and a presentation by Michael Savoia. Michael's company Villa Savoia makes embroidery of all styles and techniques. I noticed the embroidery Mary had done on her panels at the Symphony House. I couldn't help touching them and wondering how they were done. Luckily I was able to see the real thing. Here are some examples:



Patterns taken from historic sources. 


Enhancing an existing pattern 


Trapunto - I loved this! It is not a cord but threads injected into a pocket.


Different fabrics for different textures. 


Here I am with Mary and Michael - notice her studio - fabulous art!


Michael is from L.A. and his studio is in the Pacific Design Center. 


I had a wonderful time even through the traffic but I was lucky to have a driver on the way home! 

No comments: